Sunday, February 13, 2011

Making myself...

Well - it all started with rewarding myself with new athletic clothes - something I've learned to love with the weight loss... buying all those cute capris, shorts, tops, and - the best - shoes.  I've dabbled with other brands - but I'm a Nike Girl at heart.  Why? Nike Attitude T-Shirts.  They power my attitude for the day - make me smile - and I wear them with pride!  Marketing at its best - I am loyal because I can connect with the brand on an emotional level...

Then I found the Nike Women Make Yourself campaign....
"You've taken the first step toward becoming the best version of yourself. Now's your chance to put a stake in the sand for what you're working toward. Declare how you're Making Yourself below to motivate and inspire Nike Women everywhere."

So - I posted my declaration:

And then Nike came calling... impressed by my declaration and wanting to feature me on their page.
I was flattered, honored - and then scared.  While I know the impact that exercise and attitude has had on my life... Could I put it into words well enough? Was I really ready to have over 590,000 others view my story (yep - still insecure and doubting myself)?  How could I expect anything less than perfection on my part?

So what does a perfectionist with unrealistic expectations and self-doubt do? Avoidance, procrastination, and denial... On Saturday - I tried a new class at my local 24Hr Fitness - believe it or not...It was Nike Fit Club Boot Camp - and everyone got a free t-shirt for trying.  The T-Shirt? "Make Yourself" - seriously... a sign?

So - now I'm practicing my declaration of not being afraid and knocking this task out - one that I am completely honored to have been selected for... Time to share the story of how I made myself...
Even now as I am writing - I feel the knots in my stomach - nervous and insecure. But if you read my last blog - experiencing real emotions are a part of the journey to discover my full potential.

What have I really made of myself during this journey? Courage to accept life without knowing all the answers.  Strength to keep making progress on this journey no matter the obstacles. A new satisfaction with life and its accomplishments - knowing that I can inspire changes in others and be a good role model for my children. 

Let's try this again... what have I really made of myself?  A person who I am not ashamed of... A person who I am proud of... A person I love.

3 comments:

  1. I learn something new about you everytime you post.....Just makes me love you more... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. You are so awesome!
    I'm so proud of you Amy!

    You are moving forward so well and really grasping at every opportunity! I love it. Its ok to be nervous thats what makes us human. Overcoming that fear that so many others succumb to is what separates you and makes you great!

    ReplyDelete