Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How do you rebound?

Yeah, yeah.... a sports analogy from the non-sports girl.
Don't hate me - but I really don't even watch basketball.

But I started researching the philosophy behind rebounds and the role of rebounding in a game - Here are some of the things I found...
  • Few statistics influence the outcome of the game as do rebounding.
  • Rebounding is essential to winning the game.
  • Rebounding takes dedication.
  • Rebounding is 75% desire and 25% skill.
Any way you look at it - I started thinking about rebounding after misses or mistakes in life - whether it is diet, exercise, parenting, frienships, work, or other goals. 

There were definite times along my journey that I made mistakes or missed the shot.
There was the day I ate an entire pizza, or the day I just couldn't walk away from the Lay's Chips... Or the many personal trainer sessions when I just couldn't finish the exercise, running training days where I couldn't do the mileage prescribed, the weigh in days where I missed my self-imposed unrealistic goals, or the overall feeling that it just wasn't happening fast enough (I did tell you I was impatient...). 

So if we were to apply the basketball rebound principles to life - rebounding from mistakes is essential to getting to your goal.  So instead of worrying about "when" you will mess up or that you "failed" because of one mistake - instead get your head ready to not let that mistake be the end. There is no such thing as failure if we realize it isn’t the end. Bounce back!

Yes - I'm preaching to myself in this... my triathlon goals are testing my limits...
Struggling with swimming is making me rethink why I would ever sign up for this!
I want my skills and abilities to appear overnight (yep - unrealistic and impatient) and doubt creeps in... BUT I am DETERMINED that I will achieve my goal. I will rebound from this challenge and reassess my expectations and game plan.  But I'm not calling it quits!
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
–Sir Winston Churchill

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy....I just love ya! I love how honestly you bear your soul in your writing...and I can always seem to relate to it! You are inspiring in so may aspects!

    ReplyDelete