Friday, December 31, 2010

2010's Final Run... Lessons I have learned

I've been contemplating the last blog for 2010 for some time. How do I summarize this year? How do I acknowledge the success while still feeling like it's not completed? How can I celebrate the successes when I know my hardest battle is ahead of me?

And then I was discouraged in this morning's gym time, I lacked the mental and emotional energy to do what I know I am able to do... struggled to run on the treadmill, struggled with strength training, couldn't focus while even stretching. But then a friend posted something on Facebook to encourage me, to get me out of my funk... and not an old friend who has followed me through this journey - a new friend.  And that made me smile...then I played the video - two things stuck with me - Smile and Sunshine.

So, it's December 31st in Dallas and 62 degrees with sunshine (although a little windy) - I decided to take my final outside run for the year. And the moment of clarity came when I started remembering back to those first few times running in my neighborhood...

I remember that first run and telling myself - one day I want to be able to run the entire length.  But when we started, I focused on running the length of a telephone pole and walk the next one...slowly increasing and building the length.  Today - I went to run that entire length again.  I could have ran it with the wind pushing me - but instead chose to run into the wind. And that's when I realized what I have learned over the past year with running...
  1. Set a goal and tackle it in chunks. Being overly ambitious can bring frustration.
  2. Outside air and sunshine make even the most unpleasant tasks easier.
  3. Take life one step at a time - whether that step is limping, walking, jogging, or sprinting...just take that step forward.  Hey - It's even okay if someone is helping to carry you that step forward!
  4. Run into the wind - it will only make you stronger.
  5. Running needs a positive, determined, and resilient attitude - So does life.
  6. Register for that Race! Hearing complete strangers cheer you on is amazing...
  7. Great friendships are developed with running partners. Friendships who offer encouragement and support - friends who can say just the right thing to motivate you to keep going (or motivate you to show up)!
  8. New tennis shoes or running apparel are great motivators.  It's fun how something as small as a new white jacket can somehow make me run faster!
  9. Don't think - Just breathe and do it! Lose yourself in the moment...For me, I had to learn to get my brain to check out and trust that my body is capable of doing this...
  10. You will never experience anything in life like crossing a Finish Line! Whether it's that first finish line or a finish line with a new personal best record... and you never know what's waiting for you at the finish line...
So, now I'm ready to tackle 2011.  What's in store?  Well - now I'm adding to the running partners as we tackle a few more 1/2 marathons...and we will conquer our first triathlons while also preparing for our first marathon in January 2012 at Walt Disney World!

3 comments:

  1. Clif is just starting his journey, so I hooked him up with your blog. Thanks from both of us! Love you, Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought new workout pants today. As I bought them, I thought, "Maybe I should wait until I can buy a smaller size." But then I realized that the day I put them on and they are too big will be a red letter day! So they're going on my journey with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok..I am ready to start! I have made excuses...and played head games with myself for too long! Im still trying to figure ot what my first goal is...but trying to make positeve changes like drinking water...not even diet mt dew-yikes! I am sure I am addicted to sugar....so I am trying to detox!
    Love ya...and wish we were closer!

    ReplyDelete