Thursday, January 6, 2011

Do you really live out loud?

I've heard the term "live out loud" but never really paid attention or took it to heart what it actually meant. Then I stumbled on it a couple of times in the last few months and finally understood its meaning (well - at least how I interpreted it.)

During the journey of changing my body and mind, I kept everything to myself.  I still shake my head when I think about how fear can negatively impact your life.  I was afraid of failing, so the fewer who knew what I was doing - the less I would be embarrassed.  I feared I really was crazy and that my irrational thoughts weren't normal.  I feared losing control - that somehow hiding my emotions allowed me to not be vulnerable to life's disappointments or challenges.

Learning to not be afraid has been the hardest journey.  But as I learned to overcome fear through exercise, I started changing my thoughts about daily life too.  And then I did something that changed my entire perspective... 

I used a tool - www.myfitnesspal.com - during my weightloss to track food.  Their website also offers a forum for sharing struggles/successes and allows you to friend others who are also on this journey.  I stayed in the background - because I thought it was my struggle.  But when I was ready to test myself and whether my story was really a success - I posted before/after pictures on this site first. 

That was the day that I learned the meaning of living out loud.  I let go of my fear and put myself out there for everyone to see - and comment on.  (You can read their comments here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/136063-sharing-my-b-a-pics ).    That was the day that I realized sharing my story could really impact other people's lives.  And it gave a whole new meaning to life...

So - Living out Loud for me is through sharing my story and struggles - including my mental insanity through this blog!   This is my way of "paying it forward" - you never know when something you say/do inspires someone or changes their lives...

Now in reality - this new found excitement or passion for living out loud, living healthy and tackling change (at the speed I want things to happen) isn't accepted by everyone in my life.  So while I try to not push the boundaries on being annoying, pushy, demanding...or overly dramatic - I just want to practice not being afraid of sharing my thoughts or emotions.  I can't continue to live inside my head fearful of what others will really think.  So - here's the real me... living out loud!

Friend me on Myfitnesspal at amyshamm or on Facebook as Amy Giles Hamm - or follow this blog.



"Live out loud! Live life to it's fullest. Don't just laugh out loud, but cry out loud as well. Take all those wonderful feelings you have and let them out, they are the key to making your dreams come true. You need to know your feelings, so they can lead you down the path you were meant to follow. Max it all out when it comes to living your life, meet your end, exhausted, but happy with the knowledge you lived your life to the fullest."
-- Edward W. Smith






2 comments:

  1. Awesome... I get this because I realized the same thing. The number of people you can inspire multiplies as they are successful and inspires others. Great Job Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are sharing your story...all the struggles and success! You are so right...we don't realize how many people we inspire...as for me, Im glad you have overcome fears and are living out loud because you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete