Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What are you doing?

I get this question frequently - if I actually admitted (with full disclosure) everything I am doing today in my journey - it would scare even the most athletic.  Why? I can admit that I am now an addict - I definitely show signs of an obsessive disorder (that's a topic for another blog...).  But I didn't start off that way...  I made small changes along the way. Remember that a journey begins with one step...

If you have read my Weightloss Journey, than you know that food is 70% of the weightloss equation.  So start with the thing with the biggest payback (i.e. Faster Results). Does this mean extreme dieting? No.  Here's how I started my Healthy Eating change one step at a time:
  • Portion Sizes
  • Track Calories using www.myfitnesspal.com
  • Limit Calories to 1700 a day
  • Limit Calories to 1500 a day
  • Limit Calories to 1300 a day
I didn't start eliminating food from my diet until I started decreasing the amount of calories allowed per day.  Things I eliminated at the beginning? Sodas and other empty calorie drinks. I never said No to something I wanted - but I would eat a smaller portion. 

What did I learn? Because I became more aware of the calories and portion sizes - my thinking started to change.  Instead of mindless eating, everything became a decision - was it worth the calories? One decision at a time = one step at a time. 

I loved the myfitnesspal tool on my iPhone - I was able to make wise choices while ordering food or before I ate it.  I once even used it while in the drive-through lane of a fast food restaurant! I know there are other tools used to log food - but for me they didn't work because I was logging after the fact.  In order to truely change behavior/thinking, than it has to be something done at the point in time the decision is made.

Here's a quote I found that fits this for me:

When we are sure that we are on the right road there is no need to plan our journey too far ahead. No need to burden ourselves with doubts and fears as to the obstacles that may bar our progress. We cannot take more than one step at a time.

Will you be perfect along the way with your diet? No - we are human.  It's getting back up and making another step in the right direction that makes the difference. You can do this!

One meal at a time...
One day at a time...
One week at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment