Monday, December 6, 2010

Can a Finish Line be the Start of Something New?

Many times we think of the Finish Line as the marker of success - that all your hard work early pays off in the end. Yep - me and that success thing again - measuring my self worth by achievements.

On Sunday as I ran my 2nd Half Marathon in 4 weeks, I let this race represent more than just another finish line.  Well - "let" is probably not the right word, since I self-impose things on myself frequently.  I "chose" this race and this finish line to represent my entire journey over the past year.

While I embraced the idea that it was time to change in 2010 and managed to implement change, my head struggled with accepting everything.  So that Finish Line represented my acceptance of success on this tranformation journey. 
  • I accept that I was successful with the courage to take on this battle with weight.
  • I accept that I was successful with the determination needed to accomplish this journey EVERY DAY.
  • I accept that I was smart enough to know when I needed help and support and that I didn't need to go through this by myself.
  • I accept that I was humble enough to listen to others advice, feedback, coaching, and overall moral support.
  • And last, I accept that this was a major and impressive feat and it's time to celebrate and acknowledge this.

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon 2010
I set an agressive goal for this race - 2:00 - which would have been a marked improvement over my first race at 2:27.  While I typically start thinking of all the reasons why I can't accomplish my goals, I woke up two days before the race with a different perspective.  I can meet my goal because I am strong and my body can keep up with the demands I put on it.  I finally like myself and my body (flaws and all)... I was going out on that course and running all the mental toxins out of my body.  I was going to push myself so that I was uncomfortable for the entire race - you can't change by staying in your comfort zone.

Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be....  Sunday's Race was very emotional for me... I started that race as one person and with each mile I started to embrace the idea of the person I AM MEANT TO BE.

My foot on that finish line didn't mean as much to me - it was closing the book on that old person. The most important step in that race was that first step after the Finish Line - when I started a new book with this new person I am becoming, that person who is meant for something greater.

I can't wait for the next race/next challenge in life - I have more to give every day and I will live life to the fullest when I challenge myself to be uncomfortable. I still have to meet my goal of under 2:00!

3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed by your motivation! I am so happy for you in the fact that you are happy with yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY could feel the emotion in that piece. The notion of you finally having the confidence to embrace the future and leaving the old person behind choked me up. You REALLY did it. And I know you helped others along the way and you still are helping. I admire your accomplishments

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's Awesome congratulations on such a great success and a PR.

    ReplyDelete